Marine insurance features the largest reinsurance contracts in the world at $7.75bn and North Group is its second-largest player. North has clients ranging from private individuals, to multinational companies through to nation states. It trades in multiple international jurisdictions and all its clients renew simultaneously. It provides cover to 12% of the world’s ocean-going fleet, with premiums measured in $ millions and liabilities in $ billions. It operates in an environment of complex and stringent international insurance regulation. Inevitably, IT change represents extremely high risk in such an organisation.
In 2009 Prosource.it were asked, by North Senior Management, to help bring structure and governance to their IT function. As part of Prosource.it's discovery period and initial findings, a recommendation was presented which would help North transform their IT and lead an unprecedented business digital change initiative.
Prosource.it's role included responsibility for managing all aspects of IT from BAU through to Programme Management specifically:
· Helping to devise a secured board approval for a $ multi-million investment for the largest business / IT change Programme ever undertaken by this 158- year-old global business.
· Placed an interim CIO, senior IT management team and subject matter experts to help lead the entire business through a three-phase transformation Programme, first fixing the basics supporting a large acquisition and overseeing the renovation of their corporate head office in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
· Provided Programme management to lead a team of specialists to re-engineered business processes allowing the development of a highly complex bespoke technology platform.
· Helped to lead the change in the software development methodology from classic waterfall offshore to adopting a new nearshore polish development house and Agile Scrum and Kanban software development.
· Architected with North and a polish development company, a complete enterprise marine insurance technology platform which delivers a number of ‘firsts’ in the industry.
· Implemented an ITIL v3 service management approach to its support teams and introduced a new service management toolset.
· Explored the latest technology development to identify those which could benefit North in the areas of cyber security and customer service enhancement through increased awareness, proactive advice and solution finding.
· Helped implement a document management system which dramatically reduced paper and assisted with searching and storing of many millions of bits of information.